Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

Forum Upgrade

We have upgraded the forum to a more stable and usable version. With this change comes a significant amount of new features, but also some work to get the forum looking just right. The N2 team will be making these aesthetic changes over the coming days. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

Portable Generator question

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try Pep Boys.

Dave , I bought a blue ( Chinese ) 2,300 wat generator at Pep Boys a couple of years ago for $225.00. It starts 1rst or 2nd pull every time & is pretty quiet! If you are only going to use it a few times a year, that would be the way to go. If you were going to use it every day for a construction site, then the expensive Honda would be the way to go. See you at the track.

Mark
    SE CR #249
    06 GSXR 1000

Comment

Wellguys the 1200 is out, I just did not understand the power draw that I would be using. Looks like I have to work on my friend making ability at the track as 800-900 is too much money for me to drop. I could do several track days for 900 (minus expenses and tires).
      BUT thanks for the advice and everything I ll keep eyeing around the pits for a compromise, not too loud not too expensive. Till then its extention cords for me. See some of you at vir the 25th.

Comment

I use one of these with excellent results. Coleman Proforce Portable Generator 3750 Watts, Model# PM0103000

Not the Honda, but not too loud (especially when it's 50 ft away), and perfect for budget trackdayers like myself. It's the most compact of any I could find in it's capacity and I've run two sets of warmers and a box fan simultaneously all day with not even a raise in rpm's. Got it at Northern Tool for $319 but I just googled it and northern's not carrying it now but found it on alot of sites. Hope this helps.

Comment

Guys - did you know that our biggest sponsor makes ultra-quiet, really nice generators?? You can even use your Yamaha coupon toward the purchase of one.
          Brian Johnson
          www.nesba.com

Comment

Originally posted by brianjohnson View Post
            Guys - did you know that our biggest sponsor makes ultra-quiet, really nice generators?? You can even use your Yamaha coupon toward the purchase of one.
            I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that it isn't in the $250-500 price range, pretty as it is?

Comment

Guys...please keep in mind you get what you pay for. I tried the cheap way out several years ago but thought that i would buy big for the buck. I bought a 7000W 11hp dayton generator to use at the track. It had 2 20amp 120V and 1 30amp 240V plug ins. This work great for about one season. The thing would loose power the longer it ran. I had a friend run a test on it for me. It would make 7000W for about 30 min then after about 2 hours it only made about 2500W. DO YOUR HOMEWORK before you go and buy based on price. Marketing will suck you in and will leave you hanging. Yamaha and Honda make really nice generators that are great deals when you weigh out all of the specs. <$500.00 generator that last maybe one season or $1,000.00 that last for years and is re-buildable...priceless!!!
              Pitzer #89
              a.k.a Vanilla Gorilla
              Assistant Director
              jeff.pitzer@nesba.com
              WERA Ex #89
              CCS Ex #89
              ASRA Pro#89

Comment

the yamaha looks good but it doesn't match my bike and leathers so it is out! lol

Comment

Dave,

I would first define your Watts requirements carefully so you do not buy the wrong size generator.

Based on what I read from my Chicken Hawks tire warmers information (and please double chek my data on their web site), each tire warmer when at the highest heat cycle can draw up to 600 Watts each. So you will need 1200 watts right here when at max. power. Each fan will probably run you 100 watts each so you are 1400 watts right there. If you want to hook up a radio/cd player, coffee maker or a nigh light etc. you will need more.

I would go higher to be on the safe side and get 2000 or 2500 Watts which are very common size.

I have a Honda 2000EU and have been very happy with it as it is the quitest one and the smallest one. But more pricey as mentionned by someone earlier.

The cheaper the generator, the larger and the louder they are.

Whatever you buy, make sure you have the Watts sizing correct.

Good luck.
                  Nesba A, WERA & CCS Expert #350

Comment

My 25 inch fan (8400 cfm) pulls 620 Amps on high, a 24 inch fan with less cfm (like 6000) will pull around 400 amps (ref Northern tool).
                    Meat
                    A #636
                    2008 R6

Comment

You mean WATTS not AMPS don't you? 620 AMPS is an AWFUL lot. I only have 20 amp service running to each of my server racks that are supporting several servers and network devices each.
                      Chad Hargis
                      Nashville, TN
                      '01 GSX-R600 I-54

Comment

See this link for tire warmers Watts draw: 600 rear, 550 front.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...re-Warmer.aspx
                        Nesba A, WERA & CCS Expert #350

Comment

Amps...watts...LOL...Oops

yep, watts.
                          Meat
                          A #636
                          2008 R6

Comment

With warmers, a big fan and a little fan I am running approx 1920 watts. I run a 2400 peak (2200 continuous) watts generator.
                            Meat
                            A #636
                            2008 R6

Comment

Working...
                            X